Friday, September 3, 2010

A Blast from the Past

A good friend read my blog posts this week and told me she thought I was being a little harsh, perhaps even overly critical.  She also wondered if I was setting myself up for dissection of my own errors by readers.

Oh, believe me -- I'm dreading the inevitable moment when someone gleefully points out a mistake I made in a post!  At the same time, all is fair in love, war and wordplay.  Whatever I dish out, I must be prepared to take in return.

And I will take my lumps like the mature, responsible adult that I am -- after I crawl out from my hiding place under the bed, dust bunnies clinging to my pajamas...

My friends know that I do not profess to be an expert in anything, mostly because I believe we are all on a journey of constant learning.  I've learned a lot of things in my life (most of it useless in any venue except, perhaps, Jeopardy!); I certainly don't know everything.  Just so you know that I, too, make mistakes, here is an honest-to-goodness true story from my early corporate years.

I was updating the sign-in procedures for a classified area.  The sentence should have read something like, "Upon entering the Closed Area, all visitors must sign in with the secretary."

Due to a cut-and-paste error, I omitted all of the words between "entering" and "the secretary," so the sentence read, "Upon entering the secretary..."

Embarrassing with a capital 'E'.

Fortunately, my bosses had a sense of humor and found this hilarious. Unfortunately, they also had long memories and never let me live it down.

This, Grasshopper, is how I learned about the hazards of cut-and-paste.

No comments:

Post a Comment