Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What's the Point?

Someone recently asked me why I write this blog.  The short and snarky answer is:  Because I can.

As if anything is ever that simple... <grin>

If you read my very first post, you know that I wasn't exactly born with this odd little habit of dissecting everything I read.  It developed over many years of reading, more years working as an office wonk, and kicked into high gear when I decided to take up writing as a serious pursuit. 

Now some would argue that I might take writing a little too seriously, but that's another discussion altogether...

I write this blog because I'm fed up with seeing typos everywhere:  books, newspapers, online articles, TV news crawlers, store ads.  I mean, the folks who write and edit this stuff are getting paid to do so; they're supposed to be professionals.  But tell me, just how professional is a news team that misspells "Colorado" in a prominent banner on their five o'clock broadcast?  (Yep -- saw that one two nights ago.)

My blog won't change the world.  I know that.  Even if I could keep up with the hordes of typos floating around out there, highlighting the same mistakes over and over would quickly wear thin for you as a reader and for me as a writer. 

So what's the point?

Mostly, TWNAP is an outlet to vent my frustrations about the bad writing I see on a daily basis, and the apathy that often accompanies it.  Good writing should be the standard, not the exception, for all writers -- not just "the pros."  Even if a writer doesn't have the best grammar or spelling ability, that shouldn't stop him or her from at least trying to get it right.  If nothing else, writing well should be a matter of personal pride -- and a perpetual goal.

To that end, working on this blog helps me to grow as a writer.  I am constantly challenged to dig into correct word usage, proper placement of apostrophes, or alternative spellings.  (You should see the slew of content I've archived for later posts!)  It inspires me to keep my own writing skills sharp.

Hopefully my blog will inspire others to continue honing their own writing skills as well.  If we can share a few smiles and learn something along the way, all the better.  Writing is a lifelong education.  In the words of Ernest Hemingway:

"We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment