Saturday, December 4, 2010

Take a Queue

I'm working a part-time retail job this holiday season, and it's a highly overrated experience, let me tell you.

Fortunately, the typos I've caught in this national chain's employee training materials have helped to keep me somewhat amused.  Most of the errors have been relatively minor – you know, missing words, words run together, transposing letters, etc.  The most egregious one I've seen appeared in a video about engaging customers in conversation for the purpose of signing them up for a store credit card:

"Take your queues from the customer…" (Truth.  I don't make up this stuff.)  

We all know (or should know) the correct word is "cue," as in a signal or prompt.  A "queue" is a line of people waiting to be served.  It is also a lesser-known synonym for a type of what we commonly call a "pigtail" or "ponytail." 

Then there was this training handout (corporate images removed to protect the guilty):


Welcome to a great first day on Day 2… Fail!

No comments:

Post a Comment