Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"More Than" or "Over"?

Today I would like to direct your attention to this online article from Writer's Digest in which Brian A. Klems discusses the use of "more than" and "over":
More Than vs. Over: Which is Correct?
Like Mr. Klems, I was taught that "over" was not a suitable replacement for "more than." Turns out we're wrong - well, at least in the modern day writing world. Multiple sources confirm that "over" and "more than" are, indeed, interchangeable. The choice is a matter of style, not grammar.

I'll probably still use "more than" in my own writing, just because it's what I'm used to doing. But at least now I can refrain from cringing every time I hear "over" used in conjunction with a numerical amount.

2 comments:

  1. I've made up my own rule: where "fewer than" can be used in a phrase, you should say "more than", rather than "over".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kieron - I like that. Now how do we get everyone else to adopt it?

    ReplyDelete