Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Typos and the College Student

I'm taking some college classes, so there will be intermittent blog silences for the next few months as I tackle the world of academia.

To be honest, I don't quite know what to make of my college experience so far.

The majority of my instructors over the past year have been adamant that homework, research papers and online discussions must be written with correct grammar, spelling and punctuation (hooray for the Write-It-Right crowd!). Yet these very same instructors put out assignments, discussion posts and e-mails that are anything but perfect. Sure, I expected an occasional typo here or there - sadly, typos are becoming the norm for our society. But the errors I'm seeing go beyond "occasional" and are straying into "frequent" territory. "Do as I say, not as I do" is not a good example to be setting for students.

Even so, my current instructors are no match for a copy editing instructor I had several years ago. She had so many typos in her handouts that I corrected them and returned them to her for extra credit points! True story.

That class still ranks as my most disappointing college experience. I paid good money for that class, which was supposed to extoll the virtues of good, error-free writing and teach me something new. All I got was more experience editing someone else's work (for free, no less) and another box checked for my degree track...

No comments:

Post a Comment