Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Expectations

Why do I (and so many other like-minded folks) get my knickers in a twist over missing punctuation, poor wording, bad grammar, and every other category of typo?

Expectations.

When I open a book, magazine, or newspaper, or when I click on a story in the Internet, I expect to see professionally written material that has been looked over by at least one other set of eyes.

I expect to see good, clean, error-free writing because I’m expected to do a good job when I show up for work. It’s called “job performance” and “being professional.” Why should paid writers be any different from the rest of the working class?

Lastly, I expect all of this because good, clean, error-free writing used to be the standard, not the exception. It should still be the standard.

Nobody’s perfect. I’ll be the first to attest to that. But that shouldn’t stop each and every one of us from trying to write well.

No comments:

Post a Comment