Monday, September 19, 2011

Lifted from the Internet

A few weeks ago, my dear friend Maggie sent me a link to an online article posted by one of our local TV news stations. The story was about an Air Force Academy cadet who made a successful emergency landing with his glider.

“An AFA spokesperson says he didn't have enough "lifet" to return to the field at the academy…”

Several readers caught this errant aviation term. Commenter Kirk said, “I was a student pilot years ago and I never heard the term ‘lifet.’"

Commenter Ron added, “I believe lifet isnt a word, but lift Is.” (Ironically, “isn’t” without an apostrophe is also not a word. And we’ll overlook that capitalized ‘I’ for the moment. Ron’s heart was in the right place, even if his spelling wasn’t.)

Maggie’s take on the typo was this: “When you don't have a clue how to spell a word, apparently you should just put it in quotes and ignore it.”

I think we may be witnessing the birth of a new grammar rule. “When in doubt, don’t bother with the dictionary. Just put quotes around it.”

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment