Saturday, September 3, 2011

Spelling Headaches

Even the most stalwart and skilled spellers among us have a few words that occasionally trip us up – and I’m not talking about those off-the-wall words thrown at kids in the Scripps National Spelling Bee!  Here are some of my personal everyday word demons.

“Recommend” – For some reason, I want to add an extra ‘c’ and delete the second ‘m’. Don’t know why. I just do.

“Accommodate” – Maybe this is why I want to throw an extra ‘c’ into “recommend”! I really do pity the poor folks trying to learn the English language and its inconsistent spelling rules.

“Weird” – A word that violates the “I before E except after C” rule. (See inconsistent rules above.)

“Sheriff” – This word just screams for a second ‘r’! And I know I’m not the only one who tries to add that extra letter – see my earlier post about TV news caption errors.

“Embarrass” - Actually, this one hasn’t given me grief since the eighth grade spelling bee when I tried to spell it with only one ‘r’. If I’d gotten the word correct, I would have moved on to the state competition. As a result, I’ve never forgotten how to spell that word.

Remember, always practice safe spelling.

Have a great long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment