Monday, April 23, 2012

Addled Adages

One of my favorite blogs to peruse is Sleep Talkin' Man, written by a woman whose mild-mannered husband leads a very interesting nightlife populated with vampire penguins and other equally odd characters.

(Please be forewarned that STM (as he's fondly referred to) can get quite vulgar, so if you're easily offended then you might want to skip reading that blog. For me, the bizarre things STM comes up with are too fascinating, so I overlook the occasional vulgarity and focus on the frequent hilarity.)

Adam (aka STM) is British and his wife, Karen, is American, so there are occasional discussions about adages that are different between the cultures. Here's an exchange about using Google that was posted a few days ago:

ADAM:There's a lot of wacko people who write some really weird stuff.
KAREN:Yeah. That's why you take it all with a grain of salt, but you—
ADAM:Pinch.
KAREN:I think we say "grain."
ADAM:It's a pinch of salt.
KAREN:We say "grain." Does that mean that every time here I've said the expression "grain of salt," somebody thought I had it wrong?
ADAM:Yes. And as typical English people, we wouldn't correct you.
KAREN:You correct me.
ADAM:I'm married to you. I don't want you to embarrass me.

No comments:

Post a Comment