Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Trends (Part II)

One thing that some Internet users love to do is loudly proclaim their superiority over others, particularly in comments sections of online news stories. Unfortunately, this trend has taken hypocrisy to new heights. I call it the:

“I’m Better at Grammar Than You Are” (But Not Really) Trend

This first example comes verbatim from the comments for a story on a major news website:

“I've seen so many grammar mistakes in online news lately. I, maybe foolishly,expect more from some of these big orgs”

Perhaps those big orgs foolishly expect more from their readers.

But to add insult to insult, here’s a response to that comment:

“I too have seen many ‘grammatical’ mistakes in comments”

Maybe he/she should be paying more attention to using commas and periods...

Then there’s this one, from a different story on the same website, in which the commenter is responding to another’s misuse of “who” and “whom.”

“ ’who had never flown’. whom is the objective not the subjective”

You know that adage about people who live in glass houses? Yeah. That guy.

And now, the final gem in our examination of hypocrites who think their writing doesn’t stink. From the comments section of an online article about People magazine naming Maroon 5 lead singer Adam Levine as the “sexiest man alive”:

“I this is the sexiest man alive, I'm submitting my photo next year! He's a girl in a males body!”

The response, again verbatim:

“First take a gramamr class. It's male's not males”

I suppose we should all be grateful that at least some people are trying to make the written world a better place. With writing like this, however, I’m not quite ready to jump on that bandwagon.

Click here to see Trends (Part I)

No comments:

Post a Comment